Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tough Choices


Last summer, I rediscovered my love of swimming.  It felt so good to be in the pool swimming laps that I soon developed a routine of going at least twice a week, if not more.  All was well and happy. 

And then, school started up again.  Suddenly, I was forced to be back on a schedule that required the use of clocks in my life.  It was horrible!  What was worse, the only way I was going to get my precious swim times in was to, gasp, go in the early morning!

My entire family will tell you I am not a morning person. Sleep is very important.  I see no reason why I should be forced out of my cozy bed before the sun is high enough in the sky to greet me.  I do it because I have to, but I don't have to like it. 

And so, I was now face with a choice between two of my favorite activities.  Do I get up early and swim or do I allow myself an extra hour of rest?  It was a tough choice, but I eventually decided to swim.

So, now you will find me at six am two days a week in lane five of the local pool.  I'll be the one with the sunflower flip flops trying to figure out how to sleep and swim a the same time.

3 comments:

  1. Hey! Good for you! I admire you and will think of you from the comfort of my bed in the morning. (Hey, somebody's got to get some sleep!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. I get up at 3 AM several days a week to go to the gym. Not pleasant, but you do what you have to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom and I just caught up on your blog. We especially loved the one about your Grandpa. He was a patient man filled with love of family and all creatures great and small. We read on BB's today that today would have been his 96th b-day.
    You are very lucky to have been able to know him and have such wonderful memories.

    I expect diving into a pool at 6am is a good way to wake up. I'm a morning person and I would not even do that.
    LOL
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete